Monday, September 17, 2012

New England Dessert Showcase

The Deal$20 for VIP Access to the New England Dessert Showcase

Now, this event has some pretty low reviews on Yelp, but I actually had a nice time (Note:  I did not have the problems getting in that many people reported.  There was no line).  Then again, I do understand that the VIP access really turned out not to be all that it was cracked up to be.  First, it includes admission to a kick-off party the night before and a wrap-up party the day after.  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t really have an entire two days to devote to delicious desserts (although I wish I did).  Also, I didn’t appreciate being automatically subscribed to the Anthem Entertainment Newsletter when I signed up for the deal - I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have checked a box agreeing to that.  Anyway, my bigger issue was that, apparently, so many people RSVPed to the kickoff party that they split it into two locations - which means that my friends and I were separated, and the end result was that most of us chose not to go.  That’s OK, though, right?  After all, I’m still getting a bunch of delicious desserts for $20, and a VIP gift bag.

The gift bag left much to be desired.  Honestly, it was nothing but ads for other businesses, and coupons for places that aren’t convenient enough to me that I’m likely to ever go.  The one saving grace was that it also included what turned out to be a $10 gift card for Finale - and I guarantee, I can use that.  Even better - I went with a friend visiting from out of state.  They don’t have Finale in her area, so she gave me her gift card, and I wound up with $20.  Since Finale does brunch, I’m pretty happy with that.  We did also each get a raffle ticket, although I won nothing.  Had I won Red Sox box tickets, I think I would be even happier with this deal.
 
On to the event itself - dessert, dessert, dessert.  YUM!  I wish I’d brought Tupperware (of course, that may not have been allowed).  They had everything your heart could desire - fruit tortes, parfaits, chocolate-covered strawberries, cinnamon rolls, brownies, cookies, candy, and, my personal favorite - warm lava cake topped with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and candy.  YUM.  It was amazing.  Even though I managed to stuff myself ridiculously in the first hour, all things considered, $20 for a delicious brunch is not a bad deal.  Also, I enjoyed the chocolate tempering presentation from Finale’s Executive Chef, even though she ultimately used the chocolate to make peanut brittle, which I didn’t get to try.  Ah, well.  Had I paid full price for this VIP ticket, I would have been pretty disappointed (not even a drink ticket, and the drinks were expensive).  But, for $20, I had a nice time with my friends, and enjoyed a new experience, and I was happy.

Also, when the whole thing was over, they had a promotion where the first twenty people to email them with their favorite dessert received free admission to Anthem’s next event - so I now get to go to their Spa Bar Event at the end of the month at no cost.  Not bad for $20.

Cost:  $20.00
Value: $40.00
Savings:  $20.00**
Total Estimated Deal Savings, to Date:  $1,309.92

**This total doesn’t include the value of the Finale gift cards, so, technically, I got back the $20 that I spent on the admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment